Complete Master List for #42 Focus Pocus:
Key: (1st/2nd/3rd) denote needed quantities: (1st) enough for 1 student doing all activities; (2nd) enough for 30 students working in self-paced pairs; (3rd) enough for 30 students working in pairs on the same lesson. Starred* items may be purchased below.
- 1/15/15: scissors
- * 4/60/60: microscope slides
- * 0.1/1/1: cups modeling clay
- * 6/90/90: straight pins, about 1 inch long
- * 1/5/5: rolls 1/2 inch clear tape
- 1/5/15: metric rulers
- 1/8/15: sets assorted coins: 4 pennies, 1 nickel, 1 dime, 1 quarter
- * 3/45/45: straight plastic drinking straws
- * 1/5/5: rolls 3/4 inch masking tape
- * 2/30/30: TOPS hand lenses or equivalent
- 2/30/30: glass bottles, soda or beer, about 20 cm tall
- 1/15/15: index cards
- * 1/15/15: regular canning rings, not wide-mouth
- 1/1/1: roll plastic wrap
- * 1/15/15: heavy rubber bands
- * 1/15/15: dropper bottles
- * 1/15/15: metal washers with 5/16 inch (8 mm) hole
- 1/1/1: box facial tissue, or roll toilet paper
- * 4/60/60: paper clips
- * 2/30/30: wooden clothespins
- * 1/3/15: hand mirrors
- 1/15/15: empty cans, 2 7/8 inches in diameter by 4 3/8 inches tall; a common size for vegetables with 14.5 to 15.5 ounce net weights. A regular-size canning ring must nest inside without falling through. Choose cans that can be opened from both ends.
- 1/1/1: roll waxed paper
- * 1/1/1: roll aluminum foil
- * 1/5/15: candles with drip catchers
- 1/2/5: packages matches
- 1/10/15: meter sticks
- * 1/1/1: roll adding machine tape
- 1/1/1: pencil sharpener
- 1/8/15: hand calculators (optional)
- * 1/5/15: 1/16 inch diameter finishing nail
- * 3/15/45: 1 1/2 inch nails
- * 1/5/15: 2 1/2 inch nail
- * 1/5/15: 3 1/2 inch nail
- 1/15/15: palm-sized pieces, clear, flat plastic from bakery "clamshell" cartons
- 1/2/5: hole punch
- 1/1/1: jar petroleum jelly
- 1/1/1: packages each: granulated sugar, table salt, pepper, whole poppy seeds
- * 1/1/1: bottle glycerin (optional)
- 1/3/15: dark crayons or marking pen
- various: samples printed matter: newsprint, 4-color magazine ads, computer printouts
- 1/15/15: wooden toothpicks
Adding Machine Tape
2-1/4 inch x 100 feet
Adding machine tape.
regular strength, 20 square feet x 12 inches rolls
Buy aluminum foil here as a convenience item, or for less in many grocery stores.
Candles - emergency
cylindrical, 5 inches by about 3/4 inches diameter
Also called utility candles. A handy heating source. Correctly sized for #09 Floating and Sinking. Drip catchers not included.
Canning Rings with Lids
fit regular-mouth canning jars
These may be available only seasonally in some stores. Avoid wide-mouth size. Needed for #16 Pressure and #17 Light. Only rings (not lids) are used in #40 Earth, Moon & Sun, and #43 Focus Pocus.
Clay - modeling
Sold by the 100 gram stick, about 1/4 cup, in assorted colors (our choice). One stick serves a whole classroom for TOPS applications.
These are handy lab items to keep in stock. We use them as bulb holders, tongs, clips, and more.
Dropper Bottle with Eyedropper
1/2 ounce, amber glass
Very handy for storing and conveniently dispensing small quantities of liquid. You may also purchase eyedroppers without bottles as item #1120.
liquid dispensed in 2 fl. oz. plastic bottle
Used in #13 Cohesion/Adhesion and optionally in #42 Focus Pocus. A great addition to soap solution for making strong, large bubbles.
Magnifier - hand lens
3X clear plastic hand lens
You'll find many uses for this basic tool of scientific inquiry. Very nice quality for the price. Supports #17 Light, #23 Rocks and Minerals, and #42 Focus Pocus. (One 3X hand lens is also included in each #100 Triple Magnifier Kit.)
glass, standard size
Used in #17 Light for diffraction experiments. For viewing microscope specimens, consider cutting slides, almost for free, from clear plastic bakery cartons. Smooth any sharp edges with sandpaper or an emery board.
4x6 inch clear, reflecting plastic
A handy scientific tool. It is made of shatter-proof plastic with peel-off protective film. The plane surface may be flexed for funny faces and interesting experiments. Needed in #17 Light, #42 Focus Pocus.
Nails - 2 1/2 inch
steel carpenter's flat-head nail, 10-penny
Used in some TOPS titles. A surprisingly handy scientific supply.
Nails - 3 1/2 inch
steel carpenter's flat-head nail, 16-penny
A specialty item supporting #42 Focus Pocus and #20 Magnetism.
Nails - 1 1/2 inch
steel carpenter's flat-head nail, 6-penny
A specialty item supporting #42 Focus Pocus.
Nails - wire
1/16 inch diameter steel
A specialty item supporting #42 Focus Pocus. Many small light nails, including finishing nails, have this approximate diameter.
size #1, steel, box of 100
Paper clips have 1001 uses in TOPS experiments, and science in general. Feel free to use paper clips you already have, but be aware that different brands come in different sizes and weights. In experiments where uniformity is important, don't mix brands.
Rubber Bands - assorted
10 grams each of thin, medium and thick
You get 30 grams of soft, strong, durable rubber bands: thin #16 (about 50), medium #32 (about 20), and heavy-duty #64 (about 10). These sizes are specifically selected to work in most TOPS experiments.
steel, one and 1/16 inch long
Used in many TOPS experiments. Sometimes required for their magnetic properties. Don't purchase aluminum straight pins by mistake.
Straws - straight
Any length straw, between 0.20 and 0.25 inches in diameter is suitable. Grocery stores generally carry straws with flexible "elbows." You can use those if you cut off the bendable section before using.
Tape - clear
3/4 inch x 1000 inch roll
Your standard desk tape with matte write-on surface.
Tape - masking
3/4 inch x 55 yd roll
A handy science supply used in most TOPS modules.
Washers - small
7/8 inch flat washer with 3/8 inch hole
Used in many TOPS labs. Item #1290 (medium tubing) used in #16 Pressure fits through these smaller washers.