Complete Master List for #15 Heat:
Key: (1st/2nd/3rd) denote needed quantities: (1st) enough for 1 student doing all activities; (2nd) enough for 30 students working in self-paced pairs; (3rd) enough for 30 students working in pairs on the same lesson. Starred* items may be purchased below.
- * 1/1/1: four-inch lengths of aluminum, copper and steel wire with equal diameters
- 1/5/10: wire cutters
- * 1/10/10: candles with drip catchers
- 1/10/10: books of matches
- * 1/10/10: glass microscope slides
- 1/10/10: scissors
- 3/20/30: thin, recyclable, aluminum pie tins
- 1/2/2: trays of ice cubes
- 1/10/10: plastic sandwich bags
- * 1/2/2: rolls masking tape
- * 1/1/1: dropper bottle of blue food coloring
- 1/1/1: source of hot and cold tap water
- 1/10/10: gas burners (alcohol lamps), needed in one lab to heat metal red hot
- 2/10/20: pint jars
- * 3/20/30: baby food jars
- 2/20/20: index cards
- * 1/1/1: spool of thread
- * 3/30/30: test tubes
- * 1/1/1: box steel wool
- * 1/1/1: box paper clips
- * 2/20/20: clothespins
- 1/10/10: toothpicks
- 2/10/20: tin can tops, about 15 ounce size
- 1/5/10: tin cans, about 15 ounce size
- 2/10/20: pennies
- * 1/1/1: roll aluminum foil
- * 1/2/2: rolls clear tape
- * 1/10/10: laboratory thermometers
- 1/3/3: sheets black paper
- 1/1/1: teapot of hot water
- 3/30/30: corks to fit test tubes (lumps of oil-based clay)
- 1/1/1: jar of sand
- * 1/10/10: graduated cylinders, 100 mL capacity
- 2/20/20: small styrofoam cups, 150 mL minimum capacity
- 1/5/10: large plastic milk jugs
- 1/5/10: graduated cylinders, 1000 mL capacity (substitute quart or liter jars with 500 mL and 1000 mL levels clearly marked)
- 1/10/10: hand calculators
- 0.1/0.3/0.8: kilograms of washers, bolts or other small iron objects
- * 1/5/10: gram balances
- 1/1/1: small container of flour
- 1/1/1: bag roasted peanuts
- * 1/10/10: straight pins
regular strength, 20 square feet x 12 inches rolls
Buy aluminum foil here as a convenience item, or for less in many grocery stores.
Baby Food Jars - assorted
Each set includes 4 small, 4 medium and 4 large glass jars.
Candles - emergency
cylindrical, 5 inches by about 3/4 inches diameter
Also called utility candles. A handy heating source. Correctly sized for #09 Floating and Sinking. Drip catchers not included.
These are handy lab items to keep in stock. We use them as bulb holders, tongs, clips, and more.
Food Coloring - blue
liquid, dispensed in 1 fl. oz. squeeze bottle
A handy science supply used to make water more visible. Used in #39 Corn and Beans, #41 Planets and Stars, and several other TOPS modules.
Graduated Cylinder - 100 mL
shatter resistant plastic on stable base
An important lab inquiry tool for measuring larger liquid volumes.
Gram Pocket Scale
digital, pocket size
Digitally weighs up to 500 grams, plus tare container. Sensitive to 0.1 gram in multiple weight units. Durable, but not childproof. Comes with two AAA batteries to get you started.
glass, standard size
Used in #17 Light for diffraction experiments. For viewing microscope specimens, consider cutting slides, almost for free, from clear plastic bakery cartons. Smooth any sharp edges with sandpaper or an emery board.
size #1, steel, box of 100
Paper clips have 1001 uses in TOPS experiments, and science in general. Feel free to use paper clips you already have, but be aware that different brands come in different sizes and weights. In experiments where uniformity is important, don't mix brands.
fine grade, unsoaped
A handy lab supply, for studying electricity. Each pad is about the size of a classic Shredded Wheat biscuit. Used in #11 Oxidation and #32 Electricity.
steel, one and 1/16 inch long
Used in many TOPS experiments. Sometimes required for their magnetic properties. Don't purchase aluminum straight pins by mistake.
Tape - clear
3/4 inch x 1000 inch roll
Your standard desk tape with matte write-on surface.
Tape - masking
3/4 inch x 55 yd roll
A handy science supply used in most TOPS modules.
Test Tube - medium disposable
19 mL capacity, 16 mm OD, 5 inch (125 mm) length
A lighter weight rimless Pyrex test tube made with thinner glass.
Test Tube - medium reusable
14 mL capacity, 15 mm OD, 5 inch (125 mm) length
A tough Pyrex test tube made with rim and thicker glass. Has a white spot for labeling.
red alcohol, calibrated in °F and °C
A compact protective aluminum back-scale makes this item more visible, less fragile, and less prone to roll off lab tables than traditional lab thermometers. Used in #14 Kinetic Model and #15 Heat. Works in all TOPS experiments requiring temperature measurement, except one.
light duty, 25 yd spool
Just plain old thread. Used in many TOPS titles, especially in Pendulums #34.
Wire - set of 3
15 cm each of aluminum, copper and steel
All three wires have equal 20 gauge thickness (same as a paper clip), and equal lengths (6 inches). This is a specialty item for #15 Heat.