Complete Master List for #17 Light:
Key: (1st/2nd/3rd) denote needed quantities: (1st) enough for 1 student doing all activities; (2nd) enough for 30 students working in self-paced pairs; (3rd) enough for 30 students working in pairs on the same lesson. Starred* items may be purchased below.
- 1/1/1: packet powdered milk (or fresh milk)
- 1/1/1: source of water
- * 1/10/10: baby food jars
- 1/10/10: dark-colored cloth towels
- 1/10/10: flashlights with two fresh size-D batteries -- ask students to bring these from home
- * 1/1/1: roll aluminum foil
- * 1/6/10: rolls masking tape
- * 2/20/20: rectangular pocket mirrors without frames
- 2/20/20: empty tin cans -- medium 15 or 16 ounce size
- 1/1/1: roll waxed paper
- * 4/40/40: medium-sized rubber bands
- * 3/30/30: straight pins
- 1/10/10: scissors
- 1/10/10: empty cereal boxes
- 3/30/30: size-D batteries, dead or alive
- 5/50/50: 4x6 inch index cards
- * 5/50/50: paper clips
- 1/2/5: hole punch
- * 1/1/1: spool thread
- 2/20/20: pennies
- 10/100/100: sheets notebook paper
- * 5/50/50: straight plastic drinking straws
- 2/6/20: bathroom hand mirrors with plane surfaces
- * 4/40/40: microscope slides
- 1/6/10: rectangular cake pans -- about 9x12 inches
- * 1/6/10: eyedroppers
- 1/4/10: empty tuna cans or equivalent size
- * 2/8/20: small test tubes
- * 4/40/40: hand lenses with handles
- 1/4/10: transparent plastic pill vials (optional)
- 1/4/10: prisms (optional)
- * 1/4/10: white plates (or paper plates)
- 1/1/1: sheets each of blue and yellow cellophane (or transparent report covers in blue and yellow)
- 2/20/20: textbooks of equal size
- 1/1/1: roll plastic wrap
- 1/4/10: ball point pens
- * 1/5/10: rolls clear tape
- * 1/6/10: canning rings
- 1/4/10: spoons
- 1/10/10: facial tissues (soft toilet paper)
regular strength, 20 square feet x 12 inches rolls
Buy aluminum foil here as a convenience item, or for less in many grocery stores.
Baby Food Jars - assorted
Each set includes 4 small, 4 medium and 4 large glass jars.
Canning Rings with Lids
fit regular-mouth canning jars
These may be available only seasonally in some stores. Avoid wide-mouth size. Needed for #16 Pressure and #17 Light. Only rings (not lids) are used in #40 Earth, Moon & Sun, and #43 Focus Pocus.
Tape - clear
3/4 inch x 1000 inch roll
Your standard desk tape with matte write-on surface.
glass, with rubber bulbs and screw-on plastic bottle top
These have many lab uses. You may purchase them separately here, or with 1/2 ounce dropper bottles (as item #1121).
Separately, these also double as Cartesian Divers in #200 Diving into Pressure & Buoyancy. If you already have droppers, test them in advance to see if they make good 'divers': Remove plastic bottle top, if any. Dropper must float when empty, then sink with a one-squeeze-intake of water. Test that the seal between bulb and barrel is water tight: The empty dropper should float for a day or so in a glass of water, without taking on visible water.
Magnifier - hand lens
3X clear plastic hand lens
You'll find many uses for this basic tool of scientific inquiry. Very nice quality for the price. Supports #17 Light, #23 Rocks and Minerals, and #42 Focus Pocus. (One 3X hand lens is also included in each #100 Triple Magnifier Kit.)
Tape - masking
3/4 inch x 55 yd roll
A handy science supply used in most TOPS modules.
glass, standard size
Used in #17 Light for diffraction experiments. For viewing microscope specimens, consider cutting slides, almost for free, from clear plastic bakery cartons. Smooth any sharp edges with sandpaper or an emery board.
4x6 inch clear, reflecting plastic
A handy scientific tool. It is made of shatter-proof plastic with peel-off protective film. The plane surface may be flexed for funny faces and interesting experiments. Needed in #17 Light, #42 Focus Pocus.
size #1, steel, box of 100
Paper clips have 1001 uses in TOPS experiments, and science in general. Feel free to use paper clips you already have, but be aware that different brands come in different sizes and weights. In experiments where uniformity is important, don't mix brands.
9-inch diameter, generic white
A classic ripple edge-design, with wide application in TOPS experiments. Buy these here for convenience, or for less at your local grocery store.
Rubber Bands - assorted
10 grams each of thin, medium and thick
You get 30 grams of soft, strong, durable rubber bands: thin #16 (about 50), medium #32 (about 20), and heavy-duty #64 (about 10). These sizes are specifically selected to work in most TOPS experiments.
steel, one and 1/16 inch long
Used in many TOPS experiments. Sometimes required for their magnetic properties. Don't purchase aluminum straight pins by mistake.
Straws - straight
Any length straw, between 0.20 and 0.25 inches in diameter is suitable. Grocery stores generally carry straws with flexible "elbows." You can use those if you cut off the bendable section before using.
Test Tube - small reusable
9 mL capacity with 13 mm OD and 4 inch (100 mm) length
A tough Pyrex test tube made with rim and thicker glass. Has a white spot for labeling.
Test Tube - medium disposable
19 mL capacity, 16 mm OD, 5 inch (125 mm) length
A lighter weight rimless Pyrex test tube made with thinner glass.
light duty, 25 yd spool
Just plain old thread. Used in many TOPS titles, especially in Pendulums #34.